Universal Joying HeadUnit for Jeep Wrangler JK !?
(08-28-2020, 01:47 AM)admin Wrote:  
(08-06-2020, 07:02 PM)DarkSide Wrote:  Here's my experience. Overall, it's one of the best upgrades I have done to the Jeep behind headlights and hydro steer assist.
I have the 10.1" Stereo in my Jeep, 2016 Wrangler Rubicon.  JY-JO121N3 is my model number of the stereo.

First of all, mine came with a whole dash remodel kit. I was extremely impressed at how well everything fit. The cable harnesses and everything were very easy to install and I had it done in less than 3 hours. The most time involved process was running the new Celluar, GPS, Radio, and Microphone cables and removing the existing ones. Not hard, just takes time to do it right.

Moving on to function, the steering wheel controls all worked out of the box without any further configuration. I went ahead and got a data SIM card so that I would have cellular data connection right away, but the WiFi works great when I'm at my house. I also added a 512GB SD card during the install. This fit in the front of the unit behind the screen, which was kind of weird, but I guess it makes it easier to access. There are two USB ports on the back, and it came with some USB extensions that reach down to the glove box area, but I swapped those out for longer ones and mounted them in my a-pillar switch pods on the driver and passenger side. It appeared that one of the USB ports was an OTG port, so I ran that one to the driver side. I actually have a 1TB USB drive plugged in to the passenger side USB port and I play movies and television shows directly from that drive. I can also hook up to the OTG port on my side and access the file system files on the head unit. I've changed a couple image files and have been working on setting up a custom home page aside from the one out of the box. Everything is totally customizable if you know what you are doing since it's Android based. I have attached a small USB hub I use for my laptop to the OTG port and it worked just fine. I connected my phone and my laptop to the hub and was able to play music from my phone and browse the system files from my laptop. Charging didn't work through the hub, though, but this is probably a limitation of it not being a powered hub. It was just a cheap port replicator, so you could probably use it to attach more storage like USB sticks, but that's probably about it.

So down to the stereo quality. The equalizer that comes pre installed is very nice. But....the stereo head unit doesn't quite work well with the existing Alpine built in amps. The head unit basically doesn't have a crossover to isolate the frequencies going to the speakers. So if you try to turn up the bass, it will cause distortion on the dash and roll bar speakers, and send high frequency to the subwoofer. This is an issue with almost any custom stereo replacement while still using factory speakers. I found a module made by Crutchfield that fixed all that, though (https://www.crutchfield.com/g_751/Factory-System-Adapters.html). It was cheaper to install that than replace my speakers and install new amps.

Edit: Found a link on the Joying Auto Youtube Channel that shows how to install the harness and module to get the amp and other options to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QQoRSjNUU

TLDR:
1. You will need an adapter to get the same sound quality that the original head unit. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_751/Factory-System-Adapters.html
2. The SD Card Slot on mine is behind the display.
3. You can connect a non powered USB Stick or Hard Drive through the USB ports on the back of the unit.
4. Yes, I was able to connect a 4 port USB port replicator, but phone charging didn't work.

hello, friend. really great on your review.
May I know which adapter you used for improving the head unit sound quality at last?
Because on the link you sent, there are so many harnesses. could you please directly show which link you purchased?
On the Crutchfield website add your vehicle details, it will tell you which adapter's are compatible with your vehicle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Universal Joying HeadUnit for Jeep Wrangler JK !? - Acharya - 09-01-2020, 05:14 AM